Monday, December 29, 2008

11 - 5? Sorry, Not Good Enough

When I woke up yesterday morning doing my routine--um, self-inspection--I asked myself, "what's worse than two zits on your butt crack?" I would soon find out.

Now, for those who might venture a guess like, "three zits on your butt crack?" You are retarded. And not funny. Others, who know me well might say, "oh, I know. Tom Brady and Ali tearing their ACL's in the same year?" Only partial credit. What's actually worse than two carbuncles in my man cleavage is losing TFB to an ACL tear and still flirting with the playoffs with a mad respectable record, yet failing to make the postseason.

Did some research today and only 1 team in NFL history has gone 11 - 5 and not made the playoffs. However, the league only switched to a 16 game regular season format in 1978. The 1967 Baltimore Colts have the best record ever that did not make the playoffs at 11 - 1 -2.

So, the Pats were 11 - 5 and didn't make the playoffs. However, they didn't win their division (the only guarantee to make it to the post-season), so I'll buy into the argument that the NFL playoff system is fair (and utterly eons ahead of the BCS debacle that impugns its most unholy outcomes on NCAA football).

For me, it all ended in the first 7 minutes of Week 1 anyway when Boy Dreamy #12 went down. Kudos to Cassel and Bill Beeeelichick for surprising us all and making it interesting. I mean, how many teams have lost the greatest player in the history of the league in Week 1 and still put together a .6875 win percentage ? The answer may surprise you here.

And now a message from Fitzy way back in Week 2.

No comments: